Welcome to Gaston Country Club!
Since the Club’s founding in 1919, no effort has been spared to provide our members with facilities and services fitting of a fine, private club. Only 18 miles from Charlotte-Douglas airport and 22 miles from downtown Charlotte, Gaston Country Club is unique among private clubs in the region by providing fine and casual dining, private meeting and banquet rooms, golf, tennis, swimming and many interesting people, in one magnificent setting. In addition, special events are offered throughout the year for mixing and mingling among our membership and friends.
In 1919, a corporation called the Gastonia Country Club was formed to build a country club and golf course in Gastonia. A site was selected off New Hope Road through which Wilkinson Boulevard now runs. In 1927, a reorganization took place resulting in the formation of Gaston Country Club, Incorporated.
Through the 30's the Club struggled to remain in operation, but managed to keep its head above water. In the 40's and especially following World War II, the membership increased materially, and the Club was able to improve the property and accumulate a sizable surplus. By the early 50's, increased membership and membership applications made the need apparent for a larger clubhouse and an 18-hole golf course.
In December, 1956, the Club purchased from W. E. Leigh its present Club site of 200 acres. Famous Golf Architect Ellis Maples was employed to design and build the new 18-hole golf course. Construction of the course was completed and it opened for play on Thanksgiving Day, 1958. The new Club house was officially opened on January 1, 1959. At this time, the Club had approximately 225 Resident Members.
Major capital improvements to the present Club as initially built in 1958 include expanded locker room facilities, a new separate golf pro shop and storage building, new tennis pro shop and six additional tennis courts, plus a major expansion of the main club building. In 1992, improvements were made to the golf course which included all greens being rebuilt and the irrigation system expanded and improved. In 1997 we rebuilt the tennis courts and tennis facility, and continued to improve our golf course. A new pool complex was built in 1998 and the golf course underwent a major renovation in 2004.
We are currently undergoing major renovations, improving our dining and bar facilities and adding a new member entry designated for dining members. This renovation is being funded by a private group of our membership called the “Heritage Society”, a group of dedicated members who wish to provide additional support for their club on a voluntary basis to help fund needed capital projects. Renovations are slated for completion in March 2011.
Gaston Country Club continues to grow and flourish. We are looking forward to celebrating our centennial anniversary in 2019. Our heritage carries on...